Onion Pakkoda is one of the famous snack of India. During rainy days, Onion pakkoda with Tea or Coffee is one of the best combination. There are lot of sweet stall, selling pakkoda in south India. In my native they will have this pakkoda with paal saadham (rice mixed with milk) mostly for every day dinner, which is very popular in our place. We can make this wonderful Onion pakkoda, in few minutes in home itself. With very simple ingredients. Let us see how to make it.
- Besan flour – 2 cups
- Onion – 3 nos (medium size. Finely sliced. The taste of pakkoda depends upon the amount of onion added to it)
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup (gives crispiness for pakkoda)
- Curry leaves (karuvepilai) – 2 sprigs
- Green chili – 2 (chopped)
- Asafoetida – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to fry
- Add all the ingredients except Oil into a bowl. If you are interested can add thinly sliced ginger.
2. Mix it well. Add very little water to it. Take note, you should not add water at one shot. Just sprinkle very little and mix. The onion in the mixture will leave some moisture while we mix. So be careful in adding water, add only if necessary.The flour mixture should be in correct texture. If you hold the mixture tightly it should able to form a shape. Should not be damp like chapathi dough.
3. Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
4. Just add the flour mixture by breaking into small pieces in hot oil.
5. Fry it until pakkoda turns golden brown color and crispy. Then remove it from oil. Repeat this process until your flour mixture gets over. Store it in air tight container.
Pakkoda is ready. Have it with hot Coffee or Tea 🙂