There are variety of pickles. Among them Mango pickle is the favourite of most people. Generally people have mango pickle for pulav, veg biriyani, curd rice, spicy pongal. One of my aunt will use the oil of mango pickle to pour around kal dosa, mango pickle over the dosa and spread it while cooking. It tastes heaven 😍😍. It can be even used to mix with plain rice and it will be yummy 😍😍. During this Mango season I want to prepare Mango Pickle, like many people do in their home. And I want to post that recipe here. This is very simple and tasty mango pickle. The taste of this pickle depends on the sesame oil we are using for tempering. But we must be generous in using the oil for making pickle. This excess oil and salt acts as preservative in pickle. Do try this in home and enjoy your food.
- Raw mango or unriped mango – 3 (medium size. Chopped)
- Chili powder – 5 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste (if it is little more salty pickle tastes nice. But adjust according to your taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
To Dry Roast
- Mustard (kadugu) – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek (vendhayam) -3/4 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1 teaspoon
1. Chop the mango into bite sized pieces.
2. Add salt, chili powder.
3. Mix it well with a spoon or toss it properly.
4. Let it rest for 1 day. I kept in fridge for 1 day. Next day take out the well marinated raw mango. And its ready to cook.
5. Now dry roast mustard and fenugreek.
6. Grind it to coarse powder and keep it aside.
7. Now add oil to a wok or kadai. Add mustard seeds when oil gets heated. Once it splutters, add fenugreek and asafoetida.
8. Add the marinated raw mango, once the tempering got fried.
9. Mix it well and cover it with a lid to get cooked.
10. Stir it occassionally to avoid the mango pickle getting burnt. After 10 minutes mango will get cooked. Add the grinded powder to it.
11. But to get the texture of the mango, even more softer I added one sip of water to it at this stage. I forgot to take the picture at this stage. Close it with lid and cook for just 2 more minutes.But if you add water to cook mango, there is the chance of pickle getting rotten in few days. In order to avoid that, you can store it in refrigerator. It will be good enough for 2 weeks. Switch off the stove after 2 minutes.
12. Transfer the pickle to a dry container after it cools down.
Wonderful Mango pickle is ready to go with our favourite food. 😍😍