Venpongal is very famous dish of south india. Generally venpongal is made of whole black pepper and cumin seeds. But most people avoid the whole black pepper while they eat. So inorder avoid this problem, my mother in law grinds both pepper and cumin seeds to powder form and uses in pongal. I love her making of pongal and started to follow it. This is my son’s favorite too. I hope this helps you also. Try this version of pongal and you will definetely love it. 🙂
- Raw rice (ponni pacharisi) – 3/4 cup
- Moong dhall – 3/4 cup
- Ginger – 1 1/2 inch (skin peeled and finely chopped)
- Green chili – 2 (small, chopped. Optional)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 2 sprigs (Chopped. Optional)
- Asafoetida (perungaayam) – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper and cumin seeds – 1 1/2 teaspoon each (freshly grounded. Adjust according to your spiciness)
- Oil – 5 tablespoon (I use the mix of olive and sesame oil. you can use any veg oil of your choice)
- Soak the raw rice and moong dhall together for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pressure pan. Add grounded pepper and cumin powder.
3. Add chopped green chili and chopped ginger to it.
4. Add curry leaves and coriander leaves. Then add asafoetida.
5. Add 4 1/2 cups of water to it. I generally add 3 cups of water for 1 cup of the rice dhall mixture. This helps to get soft texture of rice.
6. Add salt to it. Wait until the water boils.
7. Drain water in the rice dhall mixture and add it to the boiling water.
8. Close the pressure pan and allow it to pressure cook for 10 to 12 minutes.( High flame until you get the first whistle. Then cook completely in simmer flame). Open the pressure pan after five minutes.
Venpongal is ready. Serve it with 1 teaspoon of ghee added to it.