Mutton piratal is one of the best dish of my mother in law 👵👍. All family members of mine are addicted to her mutton piratal 😍😍. The taste and aroma of this dish depends upon how you roast the dry ingredients. This is a simple to cook recipe and tastier too 🍜. This is the best combination for white rice, sambar sadham, rasam sadham, curd rice, Idly, Dosa, Appam, Idiappam, etc. So try this mutton piratal and enjoy with your family :)👪
Serves – 4
- Mutton – 1/2 kg (cut into small cubes. Bone gives extra flavor)
- Shallots (small onion) – 20 to 23 numbers
- Onion – 2 (medium size)
- Garlic – 10 to 12 pods
- Ginger – 1 to 1 1/2 inch (skin peeled.Grind both ginger and garlic to a paste)
- Chili powder (Home made kuzhambhu milagai thool (curry chili powder) – 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon (depends upon your taste)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 7 to 8 tablespoon
To roast and grind
- Black pepper – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds (seerakam) – 3 to 3 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds (dhaniya) – 2 1/2 tablespoon
1. Roast all black pepper,cumin seeds,coriander seeds in 1 teaspoon of oil. Fry in simmer flame, until you get nice aroma of the spices. Do not over roast it. If over roasted, it gives a bitter taste to the dish.
2. Transfer it to a plate immediately, to cool down. Then grind it to a fine powder and keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pressure pan or cooker. Add onion and saute for 1 minute. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add shallots and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add mutton and stir it until the meat changes its color.
6. Add salt and chili powder. Fry for 1 minute.
7. Add the roast & grounded spices to the mutton mixture. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
8. Add 3/4 to 1 cup of water.
9. Close the pressure pan with its lid and whistle. Pressure cook the mutton mixture for 20 minutes in a simmer flame. Switch off the stove after 20 minutes. Open the pressure pan after 5 to 10 minutes.
10. If the mutton piratal is thin in consistency, let it cook in high flame, until oil seperates (note that mutton should not break) and it changes to the required consistency. Stir in between to avoid sticking of the mutton to its bottom.
11. Mutton piratal is ready.
Transfer it to a container and its ready to be served.