Thakkali urulai kuzhambu is one of the simplest and easy to make curry. This is my grandmother’s (paternal) recipe. She used to cook this curry well. This goes well with white rice, Idly, Dosa, Chapati, Idiyappam. Try it 🙂
- Tomato – 6 (medium size)
- Potato – 4 (boiled & mashed into medium size pieces)
- Onion(chopped) – 1 (medium size)
- Garlic (chopped to biting size) – 5 pods
- Green chili – 2 (slit into 2)
- Curry leaves (karuvepillai) – 1 to 2 sprigs
- Chili powder (Home made kuzhambhu milagai thool (curry chili powder) – 2 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 3 to 4 tablespoon
- Coconut grated – 4 to 5 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds (seeragam) – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 1 teaspoon
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds and wait until it crackles. Add urad dhal and wait until it turns light reddish color.
2. Add onion and saute until it turns translucent. Add garlic, green chili, curry leaves and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and let it cook for 5 minutes with lid closed.
4. Add grinded coconut and cumin seeds paste. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3 cups of water to it. So that the curry will be in thin consistency.
5. When the curry starts to boil add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala. Let it boil for 3 minutes.
6. Add the mashed potatoes to it.
7. Pressure cook the curry for 5 to 6 minutes (2 whistles) in medium flame. Open the pressure cooker after 5 minutes.
Thakkali urulai curry is ready to be served 🍅.
Add this curry and 1 teaspoon of ghee to the hot white rice. Having pappad or vadam is the excellent side dish 😍😍 👌.