Biriyani is a very tasty and delicious dish. For non veg lovers, Mutton and Chicken Biriyani are the favorite. For vegetarians, vegetable and Mushroom Biriyani are the favorite. But most people fear to try Biriyani in home. Because the rice may get overcooked or under cooked. Practice makes perfect Biriyani. I myself failed so many times in making Biriyani, but after trying it several times I got it perfect. Now I know the Do’s and Dont’s of cooking Biriyani. So don’t hesitate and try making your delicious Biriyani. I got this recipe from my Mother In Law. Who is a great expert in making Biriyani. Now lot of people love mine too 🙂
- Basmati rice (soak for at least 1/2 hour) – 5 cups (750 gm)
- Onion (medium size) – 2 (cut into long strips)
- Green chilies (slit into two) – 5 numbers (Equal to 3 Indian green chilies)
- Tomato (medium size) – 3 (cut into long strips)
- French Beans – 1 cup
- Carrot – 3/4 cup
- Green peas – 3/4 cup
- Coconut Milk – From 1/2 coconut (big)
To Grind 1
- Garlic – 20 to 25 pieces
- Ginger – 3 inches
- Green chilies – 10 numbers (which is equivalent to 5 Indian green chilies)
To Grind 2
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup (50 gm)
- Mint leaves – 1 cup (50 gm)
- Bay leaves – 2 to 3 (small)
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 to 3 (1 inch sticks)
- Cloves – 5 to 6 numbers
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Black Stone Flower (kalpasi) – 2 big flowers(gives very nice flavor to biriyani)
- Kapok Buds (marati moggu) – 3 numbers
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Heat your vessel. Add oil to it. After oil gets heated, add dry spices one by one.While adding dry spices break them into 2 to 3 pieces so that it will give very nice aroma.
2. After the spices get roasted, add onion and green chilies. When it becomes light pink in color add ginger,garlic and green chilies paste.
3. Saute for 2 minutes. Then add Tomatoes to them. At this time add salt and turmeric powder. If you add salt to tomatoes, it will get mashed very soon. If you cut your tomatoes in long strips it will leave out its juice very easily.
4. Add French Beans,Carrot and Green peas.Stir fry it for 3 to 4 minutes. At this stage, add coriander leaves and mint leaves paste.
5. Let them cook for at least 10 minutes. Stir it in between so that it will not get burnt in the bottom. Now extract your coconut juice. To extract,grind your coconut in mixer grinder with little water and extract the juice from it. It is first coconut milk. Repeat this process for two more times. So you will get your second and third coconut milk.
6. By this time your masala will be in the perfect consistency. That is, oil should be separated from the masala.
7. Now its time to add coconut milk and water. For 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water should be used. Here I am using 5 cups of rice so i have to add 10 cups of water. But I am adding 3 cups of coconut milk and remaining 7 cups of water. In order to avoid the over cooking of rice I added 6 3/4 cup of water.
8. When the mixture starts to boil add your drained basmati rice. This is the time to taste the salt and spice for the dish. The masala water should be little bit more salty and spicy. Then only you will get the perfect taste for your rice.But don’t make it over salty and spicy. Let it cook in the high flame until the rice gets 3/4th cooked. Care should be taken that the rice should not stick to its bottom. so stir it properly, but the rice should not break.
9. At this stage simmer your flame completely and close your vessel with a lid. Air should not escape out of the vessel. Let it cook for exactly 10 minutes.
10. After 10 minutes switch off your stove. Do not open the lid now. Wait for 10 minutes and open the lid.
Your Delicious Vegetable Biriyani is ready to be served. Enjoy 🙂