Vegetable kurma is one of the famous south Indian curry served for poori, chapati, Dosa, Parota, Naan, Idiyappam, Idly, etc. This is a gravy, made with coconut paste or coconut milk, Cashew nuts, Roasted gram, Poppy seeds ( I don’t use poppy seeds, because I don’t get here in Singapore). And it tastes really good, with loads of veggies. Have and enjoy with your loved ones 🙂
Quantity of Veggie can be of your choice.
- French Beans – 150 gm
- Carrot – 2 (small size)
- Potato – 2 (medium size)
- Green peas – 1/4 cup
- Onion (chopped) – 1 (medium size)
- Tomato (chopped) – 1 (medium size)
- Green chili – 2 (slit into two)
- Coriander powder – 2 to 3 teaspoon (heaped)
- Chili powder (Home made kuzhambhu milagai thool (curry chili powder) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped or grinded) – 3 to 4 sprigs
- Oil – 5 to 6 tablespoon
To Grind 1
- Garlic – 12 to 13 pods
- Green chili – 2 (big)
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
To Grind 2
Soak all the ingredients mentioned here for 15 to 20 minutes. So that you can grind it to a smooth paste.
- Roasted gram – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut – 7 to 8 pieces (medium size)
- Cashew nut – 13 to 15 pieces
- Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Star anise – 1 piece (small)
- Cinnamon- 1 inch piece
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Green cardamom – 2 nos
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Black stone flower (kalpasi) – 2 flowers (medium size)
- Heat oil in pressure pan or cooker. Add all the dry spices into it. After it gets roasted add onion and green chili.
2. Add the paste of ginger, garlic & green chili, when onion turns translucent. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add grinded coriander leaves and saute for 2 minutes. Then add tomato and saute until it becomes mushy.
4. Add French beans, carrot, potato, green peas. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add the paste of coconut, cashew, roasted gram, cumin seeds to the veg mixture. Add water until the veg mixture submerges.
6. Add coriander powder, salt and chili powder (if you need more spice).
7. Pressure cook the veg curry for 7 to 8 minutes in medium flame. Open the pressure pan after 5 minutes.
Vegetable kurma is ready to be served with your favorite main course. Enjoy 🙂