Vadacurry is an excellent side dish for idli, dosa, chappathi. Basically this is a very famous dish of chennai cuisine. It is available mostly in road side hotels, normal hotels, and it tastes fantastic 😍😍. Now its available in big restaurants too. In hotels they will use channa dhall vada (masala vadai in chennai & aammai vadai in south tamilnadu) to make vadacurry. It would take more time to prepare this dish. So most people will not dare to prepare vadacurry in home. Instead they will buy in hotels. Now here in my recipe, I am not going to fry this vada. Instead I am going to steam this dhal and to use it in my vadacurry which also tastes good. My kids too loved it 😎. So do try this vadacurry in your home too 😊👍.
- Channa dhal (kadalai parupu) – 1 cup (200 gms)
- Onion – 1 (bigger size. Chopped))
- Tomatoes – 3 to 4 nos (bigger in size. Tomatoes add taste to this dish)
- Green chili – 2 (slitted)
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup (or else you can grind paste of coconut and cumin seeds)
- Oil – 5 to 6 teaspoons
- Garlic – 12 to 15 pods
- Ginger – 2 inch piece (skin peeled)
- Green chili – 3 nos (medium size)
- Mint leaves – 3 to 4 sprigs (optional. You can add coriander also instead of mint leaves. It enhances very nice aroma and taste to the dish)
You can use whatever dry spices (indian) you get in your place.
- Bay leaves- 2 nos
- Black stone flower (kalpasi) – 1 flower
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 inch stick (break into pieces)
- Green cardamom – 2 nos
- Cloves – 3 to 4 nos
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
1. Soak 1 cup of channa dhal for 2 hours.
2. Drain water after 2 hours.
3. Grind it roughly in the mixer grinder. Should not add water while grinding. Just whipping for 1/2 minute is more than enough. It should not become like paste.
4. Now steam the coarsely grinded dhal for 10 to 13 min.
5. Once the dhall is cooked well switch off the stove and allow the dhal to cool down.
6. After it gets cool down set it fluffy. I will mostly whip the cooked dhall in the mixer grinder for 10 to 15 seconds to get the dhall fluffy and it dont have lumps also. So that it would be easier for me to cook.
7. Now add oil to a pan. Once the oil get heated add all the dry spices.Wait until all the spices get roasted.
8. Add onion and green chili to it. Saute well.
9. Add the grinded paste of ginger, garlic, mint leaves and green chili to it.Fry it well.
10. Add tomatoes to it.
11. Add salt and chili powder according to your taste.
12. Cook it well until it turn soft and mushy in consistency.
13. Add coconut milk and mix it well.
14. Add required amount of water to it. Allow it to boil.
15. Once it started to boil add the cooked dhal.
16. Let it cook for 10 minutes or until it cooks to its required consistency in simmer flame. Check for the salt and spice because after adding dhal I felt that I need to add little more salt and chili powder. So I added little bit salt and chili powder.
Now our amazing vadacurry is ready to go with our favourite main course 😍😎