Sakarai Pongal is all time favourite dish of most people of south India. It is mostly prepared during festivals like Thai Pongal Thirunaal, Makar Sankaranthi, Dassahra, Vinayagar Chathurthi, Varalakshmi pooja, Tamil new year, Ugadi, Navarathri, etc. And it is used as naivedhyam, mostly during poojas. Pongal prepared in temples have unique flavor. This is because they use edible camphor (pachai karpooram) in it and it smells divine. During Thai Pongal Thirunaal in Tamilnadu (Harvest Festival), we will make sakkarai pongal with newly harvested rice in new eathern pot under the sunlight and offer to Sun god. This festival is a form of saying thanks to the farmers who work hard in fields for us. So Iam also glad to post this wonderful, divine dish during Thai Pongal Thirunaal in my blog. And I Wish you all a very Happy Pongal.
- Raw rice – 1/2 cup
- Moong dhal – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup (grated or powdered)
- Ghee – 5 to 6 teaspoon
- Cashew nut – 8 to 10 nos ( break into small pieces)
- Raisins – 7 to 8 nos ( but I didnt used here)
- Coconut – 2 to 3 medium size pieces (cut into small bits)
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon ( I use essence)
- Mix raw rice and moong dhal in a container. Soak them in water for atleast 15 min and drain it
2. Add this rice and dhal mixture to a pressure cooker. Add 3 cups of water to it. (3 cups of water for 1 cup of rice dhal mixture). Pressure cook for 12 to 15 min.
3. Open the pressure cooker 5 min after you switch off the stove.
4. Mash it gently with a ladle.
5. Add 1/4 cup of water to loosen the texture. So that it will be easy to mix jaggery to it.
6. Now add the grated jaggery to it. Switch on the stove and keep the flame simmer.
7. Now jaggery starts to melt in this heat. Care should be taken that after adding jaggery the rice dhal mixture will stick to its bottom. So carefully give a mix often.
8. When it completely melts and become watery in texture switch off the stove.
9. At this time heat ghee in a seperate pan.
10. Add cashew nut and fry. If you have raisins you can add at this stage and fry it also.
11. Add tiny coconut pieces or grated coconut and fry it for 1 min.
12. Now add the cooked rice dhal mixture and cardamom powder to it. Mix it well
13. Allow it to cook in simmer flame until the pongal leaves the sides of the pan.
Tasty and heavenly pongal is ready to be tasted.